Broccoli Cheddar Soup
This is a pretty decedent soup. That's all I have to say about that.
- 2 yellow onions, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup of flour (or a little less)
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups half and half
- 3 cups chicken stock (low sodium)
- 1 bunch of broccoli, cut into florets
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 parsnip, chopped (optional)
- Kosher salt and Freshly ground black pepper
In a large Dutch oven or soup pot, sauté the onions in the butter. When the onions are soft (5-7 minutes), add the garlic. Once the garlic is fragrant, add the flour and whisk to combine. Cook until the flour starts to turn golden.
Slowly add the half and half, stirring as you go. Add the two bayleaves.
Add the chicken stock and bring to a simmer. Cook for about 20 minutes until the soup has thickened a bit
Add the broccoli and carrots and cook for another 20-30 minutes until the vegetables are soft.
Using an immersion blender, puree the soup.
Taste for seasonings and add salt and pepper.
After making this, I think you could cut down on the flour. Keep some extra chicken stock on hand if you want to thin it out a bit.